Planter boxes are a great addition to the outdoor spaces of residential, commercial and industrial properties.
They enable you to grow and nurture plants, flowers and trees, bringing a natural greenery to the facade and a breath of fresh air to your premises. With planter boxes, you can also enhance the aesthetic appeal of any building.
However, did you know that waterproofing is important to adequately protect and keep them functional? This is because water, while important in growing plants, can also be damaging to the physical planter boxes when left unmanaged.
Read on to learn the importance of protecting planter boxes and the right ways to waterproof them.
Why should you waterproof your planter boxes?
As planter boxes receive a lot of exposure to water and extreme temperatures, waterproofing is crucial if you want to protect them from damage.
Waterproofing also helps to ensure that planter boxes remain a safe and durable space for your plants to thrive.
Here are the key benefits of waterproofing your planter boxes.
- Waterproofing planter boxes protects the plants inside
Water is essential to keep plants alive, and damage to planter boxes can result in leaks. By waterproofing, planter boxes will be more robust, which means the right amount of water will be retained for the healthy growth of the plants inside.
- Waterproofing planter boxes enables you to preserve water.
In most cases, planter boxes that are not yet waterproofed tend to physically absorb water while leaving plants dehydrated.
By waterproofing, you can ensure that planter boxes will hold enough water for a longer time, allowing you to save water (and lower your water bill expenses!), especially during warmer weather.
- Waterproofing helps maintain the surrounding areas of planter boxes.
Waterproofing impedes water from leaking outside planter boxes, which can be an unpleasant sight on your decks, balconies and other paved areas. Excess moisture from leaks can also deteriorate the surrounding surfaces.
- Waterproofing prevents the growth of mould and fungi.
Since planter boxes are consistently wet, rot or mould can form easily in these conditions. What’s worse is that water leaking from them can flow onto unfinished areas, causing fungal and bacterial allergies.
These are not only damaging to your home but can also be harmful to your health as well. As such, waterproofing planter boxes is a smart preventive measure.
- Waterproofing guarantees longer-lasting planter boxes.
Regardless of their shape and size, planter boxers must be sealed and protected to maintain their high-quality look and functionality.
Waterproofing provides them with an additional layer of protection from rot, rust, mould and mildew to extend both the life of the plants and the planter boxes themselves.
How to waterproof your planter boxes
Waterproofing your planter boxes is an effective way to maintain their condition, allowing your plants, flowers and trees to flourish even more.
Here’s how you can use them to protect your planter boxes:
- Prepare the area to be treated by removing any loose materials, ensuring a clean and sound surface.
- Any damage to the surface should be repaired using MAXREST.
- Any missing mortar can be replaced with either MAXREST or MAXJOINT ELASTIC.
- In the corner where the wall meets the concrete slab, a coving of MAXREST should be formed.
- Thoroughly wet the entire surface before applying the coating.
- Brush and apply two coats of MAXSEAL FLEX or MAXSEAL FLEX M, ensuring that the surface is soaking wet when applying the Drizoro product
- Embed MAXMESH across cold joints between the 1st and 2nd coats to provide extra strength.
- After the 2nd coat has been applied, leave for 4-5 days before filling the planter box.
The right waterproofing solutions will protect your planter boxes
Waterproofing is a proactive approach to avoid all of the hassle and costs that come with water-damaged planter boxes.
Using the right range of waterproofing solutions, you’ll also be able to maintain the beauty of the areas surrounding these planter boxes and preserve everything you grow in them.
If you’d like further guidance on the best waterproofing products to use for planter boxes, speak to your local Australian waterproofing specialists.
Get the best waterproofing solutions for your planter boxes
At Scientific Waterproofing Products, our team is here to provide you with the right waterproofing for your unique situation. We offer a wide range of Drizoro cement-based waterproof coatings for all of your maintenance and restoration requirements.
If you’ve got any questions or issues around waterproofing, or you’d like to find out which product is best for your needs, contact us today!
You can also check out a list of local Drizoro resellers and applicators here.
As always, SWP is committed to providing the right waterproofing solution for any water-related problem or application.